After more than 20 years of dreaming, we’re now aboard our own yacht in Greece for the summer! If you want to read from the beginning, the Ship’s Blog starts here.
The end of our first season. It’s gone so quickly. And it seems a lifetime ago when we arrived here in April with Mike & Mary who got us off to such a good start. This last month has been overshadowed by the damage from the medicane. We’re still coming to terms with that, as …
Continue reading "The End of Season 1"
We lifted out 8 days before the last flight out of Preveza for UK. That should give us plenty of time, we thought when we booked it in April. Haha! Wrong! OK, so we hadn’t planned on all the electronics work. Or on the mast having to come down, getting insurance quotes etc. But where …
Continue reading "A Tent without a Boom"
It’s Thursday in Cleo. As I sit in the cockpit, Waypoint have removed the sails and running rigging, ready to un-step the mast. From the saloon comes the sound of drilling and sawing as Andy, the electronics engineer who arrived yesterday to fit our new kit, enlarges the holes in the woodwork above the chart …
Continue reading "They’re taking my boat apart!"
On Thursday 11th we got through the 9am bridge opening and motored cautiously up to Preveza. We dropped anchor and reversed up to the town quay then, just as John was passing our stern lines ashore, the anchor chain started running out apace! We retrieved the situation and made a mental note to get the …
Continue reading "Preveza and Lift out"
We motored up to Lefkas and tied up on the town quay at lunchtime on Monday. Waypoint were booked to inspect the mast on Tuesday, but arrived late Monday afternoon. Nik stood on the quay, looking up, “You’re going to need a new mast.” “Really?” We ask. “Almost certainly. We’ll see when we take it …
Continue reading "You’re going to need a New Mast"
It was on our 4th visit to the Port Police to report the collision that he told us our report meant that he would have to impound the boat until it was surveyed. Visit 1 We’re given a sheet of paper and told “Come back tomorrow with a short, it must be very short, report …
Continue reading "We must Impound your Boat"
On Friday we’re woken by a phonecall at 1130 from IBA to ask how we are and to say the pontoon remains closed. A number of cleats were ripped out, one boat lost half its mast, and the staff need to catch up on sleep as well as make repairs. The forecast shows the low, …
Continue reading "Assessing the Damage"
Sunrise on Thursday. The wind’s still blowing, maybe a little less (our wind sensor no longer works since we clashed masts.) The waves have eased. We slowly warm up and start peeling off layers – lifejacket, sailing jacket, fleece, cashmere jumper, long sleeved shirt. Jeans, socks and shoes are shed for shorts and bare feet. …
Continue reading "Medicane Zorba day 2"
As we moor up on the IBA pontoon on Tuesday 25 September, the wind charts for Greece are showing colours (wind strengths) we’ve never seen before. A cyclone is building to the SW of Greece, forecast to move up to the Agean. The wind rushing down to it is forecast to be NE 5 gusting …
Continue reading "Medicane Zorba"
We need to make some plans for work and maintenance over the winter, so where else would we go but Nidri, which seems to have become our base. We’re also hoping to meet up with Phil again to talk more about the design of our new gantry. We leave Preveza at 1230 after filling up …
Continue reading "Making Plans for Winter"